[source: Wikipedia & Google]
KRU is a Malaysian pop group that was formed in 1992. The group comprises three brothers: Norman Abdul Halim, Yusry Abdul Halim and Edry Abdul Halim. Apart from revolutionizing the Malaysian music scene with their unique blend of Pop, R&B and Hip hop, they have successfully established their own entertainment company named KRU Studios specializing in the entertainment and media industry.
Their interest for creating music sparked when they were very young, when one of their aunts bought Norman a keyboard which also attracted his other brothers. They spent their teen years in London, where they were exposed to various genres of music, in contrast to the Malay music scene at that time which was dominated by classic rock and ballads.
The brothers were loyal supporters of the Selangor team and so decided to write a rap tune for their favourite team back when they were originally known as Selangor Rappers' Unit, writing Viva Selangor.
They continued to write original songs, but little did they know one of Norman's college mates sent a demo to EMI. The International Label Manager by the name of Calvin Wong (now Vice President at Warner Music Asia Pacific) was very impressed by the song and called the brothers to audition. Thus, KRU was formed on May 19, 1992. KRU means "team / squad" that cooperate, and there is no meaning behind the letters of K-R-U, but it is also the Malay spelling of the word "crew". Though it is pronounced "K.R.U." and not KRU.
The brothers are now venturing into various types of other businesses that are nevertheless still related to their musical roots. They began KRU Records, a record label and music publishing company, releasing their own recordings as well as those of other artists.
They also produce movies, corporate movies, music videos, publish books etc.
Today, KRU Studios is one of the biggest names in Malaysia. Cicakman, Duyung and MySpy are some of the movies that have been produced by KRU. These productions have received great success in the Malaysian Entertainment Industry. One of KRU's films, Magika, won Best Film at the Malaysian Film Festival. Their other mega project which is the Hikayat Merong Mahawangsa or its international title, The Malay Chronicles : Bloodline was sold to 72 countries worldwide, making it one of KRU's greatest achievement ever. The film also became the highest grossing Malaysian epic film after only 5 days of shows.ACHIEVEMENTS:
- Anugerah Bintang Popular - Most Popular TV Entertainer (Male)
- Anugerah Industri Muzik (AIM) - Best Engineered Album (Artiste/Producer/Album: KRU/KRU/Awas); Best Pop Album (Artiste/Producer/Album: KRU/KRU/Awas)
- Anugerah Bintang Popular - Most Popular Group
- Anugerah Industri Muzik (AIM) - Best Group Vocal Performance in an Album (Artiste/Album: KRU/Awas da’ Soundtrack)
- Anugerah Bintang Popular 1996 - Most Popular Group
- EMI Achievement Award - Earning 10x platinum for sales exceeding 1 million
- Anugerah Industri Muzik (AIM) - Best Engineered Album (Engineer/Album: Edry/Izan/Jon Gass/Martin Horenburg/Steve Hall/Ooh! La! La!); Album of the Year (Artiste/Producer/Album: KRU/KRU/Ooh! La! La!)
- Anugerah Video M 1997 - Best Music Video, Best Performance by an Artiste, Best Editing, Best Photography, Best Art Direction, Best Direction
- Malaysian Book of Record (MBOR) - First Artist To Duet With a Departed (Late P.Ramlee - song "Getaran Jiwa"); First Malaysian video clip nominated for the MTV Video Music Award, Fanatik
- Anugerah Industri Muzik (AIM) - Best Music Video (Director/Song: Saw Teong Hin/Fanatik)
- Anugerah Bintang Popular 1998 - Most Popular Group
- Anugerah Industri Muzik (AIM) - Best Music Video (Director/Song: KRU/The Way We Jam); Best Engineered Album(Engineer/Album: Edry Abdul Halim/The Way We Jam); Anugerah Kembara(special jury’s award to recognize local acts who have made an impact regionally or internationally)
- Anugerah Bintang Popular 1999 - Most Popular Group
- NTV7's Most Popular Video Clip - Most Popular Video Clip, Jangan Lafazkan (chosen by public through polls)
- Anugerah Planet Muzik (APM) - Best Asian Group
- Music Authors’ Copyright Protection Bhd (MACP) - Most Popular English Song (The Way We Jam)
- Malaysian Book Of Records (MBOR) - First Virtual Artiste KRU created Tyco, their virtual alter egos with 3D characters named Tylo, Yiko and Psylo.
- Anugerah Industri Muzik (AIM)- Best Nasyid Album (Artiste/Producer/Album: Rabbani/KRU/Intifada)
- Malaysian Video Awards 2002 - KRU's video Impak Maksima won SILVER in the Best Music Video category
- Anugerah Industri Muzik (AIM) - Best Music Video (Director/Song: Virginia Kennedy/Impak Maksima); Best Nasyid Album (Artiste/Producer/Album: Rabbani/Edry, Archie & Ustaz Sohibul/Qiblat)
- Anugerah Juara Lagu (AJL) 18 - Winner of the Pop Rock category for Ezlynn's Hi Hi Bye Bye
- Anugerah Bintang Popular 2004 - Most Popular Singer - Male (Yusry)
- Anugerah ERA 2005 - Choice Music Video (Terhangat di Pasaran); Choice Vocals - Duo or Group (Terhangat di Pasaran)
1. CANGGIH (1992) ~ Fav. Songs: Canggih, Hanya Kau, U Make My Day, Generasiku, Sekali Lagi (Gadisku), Cherrina, 2020
2. reKRUed (1993) ~ Fav. Songs: Mengerti, Inikah Ertinya Cinta?, Terima Kasih, Janji Tinggal Janji
3. AWAS (1994) ~ Fav. Songs: Awas, Untukmu '94, Mengerti (live frm Life Centre), Di Dalam Dilema
4. Beware: Awas da Soundtrack (1995) ~ Fav Songs: Salah Siapa, Malam Kita, Emilia, Awas (LP Mix)
5. Oh La La (1996) ~ Fav Songs: Oooh! La! La!, Apa Saja, Semuanya OK, Freaky G
6. Krumania - compilation (1997) ~ Fav. Songs: Semua kat atas & Di Pintu Syurga, E'nuff Eez E'nff, Getaran Jiwa
7. The Way We Jam *first English Album (1998) ~ Fav. Songs: The Way We Jam, lain2 ok2 je..
8. Formula Luar Biasa (1999) ~ Fav. Songs: Jangan Lafazkan, Luarbiasa
9. Tyco - as Tyco, Malaysia's first animated artiste (2000)
10. Krujaan (2000) ~ Fav. Songs: Impak Maksima, Ucapkanlah
11. Empayar Krujaan V 2.0 (2002) ~ Fav. Songs: Perpisahan Terasing, Impak Maksima, Ucapkanlah
12. Yusry *First album solo (2003)
13. Relax *compilation (2004) ~ Fav. Songs: Babe, Di Pintu Syurga, Apa Saja
14. KRUnisme (2005) ~ Fav. Songs: Terhangat Di Pasaran, Selamat Datang, Sampai, Seksa
15. Di skala Richter (2006)
There's few albums, not included here.
SYABAS KRU!!! Semoga sentiasa bersemangat utk menerbitkan lagu-lagu & maintain imej RAP smpai bila2. Peace u ollzzzz!